Ronald W. Johnson, P.A. defends individuals and businesses facing serious criminal accusations. Based in Pensacola, Ron Johnson practices in state courts throughout the Florida Panhandle and throughout the state of Florida, and in federal courts in Florida and across the Southeast United States. While he is able to defend clients against every kind of criminal allegation, he devotes much of his practice to defending clients who have been charged with white collar crimes and other serious criminal charges.
Ron personally works your case from top to bottom.
Ron has practiced criminal law exclusively since 1973. For the first year, he served as a public defender. For the next 10 years of his career, he served as a prosecutor, including numerous death penalty cases and other serious felonies. In this job he prosecuted and interrogated serial killer Ted Bundy. His experience in all aspects of criminal defense provides an invaluable benefit to his clients.
Over his career, Ron Johnson has been recognized many times by his colleagues for his effectiveness and professionalism. He has been board certified in criminal trial law by the Florida Bar Association since 1984. Board certification reflects an attorney’s knowledge, skill, proficiency and ethics. Only a small percentage of lawyers are Board-Certified. Ron has also been selected for inclusion in the Florida Super Lawyers list each year since its inception. Additionally, he has been received the AV Preeminent rating* under Martindale-Hubbell’s Peer Review Rating System for more than 30 years. Learn why these designations are important.
Ronald Wayne Johnson, Criminal Defense Attorney
Since graduating from the University of Florida, College of Law In Florida in 1973, Ronald W. Johnson has practiced criminal law. His expertise and accomplishments have earned him a Martindale-Hubbell AV rating and lead him to be named as a Florida criminal Law Super Lawyer. Mr. Johnson started his career as an Assistant Public Defender, and then worked for 10 years as an Assistant State Attorney, six of which were spent as the Chief Assistant State Attorney handling major criminal prosecutions. He was also involved in the prosecution and interrogation of mass murderer Theodore Robert Bundy, Jr. after his arrest in Pensacola, Florida.
In 1974, Mr. Johnson entered the private practice of law and limits his practice to criminal trials and appeals. During his career, Mr. Johnson has attended numerous CLE courses, including the National Institute for Trial Advocacy Advanced program, and the National Institute for Trial Advocacy Training Trial Advocacy Workshop at Harvard Law School. Mr. Johnson taught annually for 10 years at the Public Defender’s/Prosecutor training program at Stetson University College of Law and the University of Florida College of Law. He has served as a member of the executive counsel of the Criminal Law Section of the Florida Bar and has served on numerous Florida Bar Criminal Law Section committees, including the Certification Committee, the Florida Supreme Court Criminal Procedures Rules Committee, the Education Committee, the Ethics Committee, the Federal Practice Committee, the Substantial Assistance and Drug Trafficking Committee, and served as chairman of the Florida Bar Criminal Law Section Narcotic Practice Committee.
Mr. Johnson has been a Board-Certified Criminal Trial Lawyer by the Florida Bar since 1984. Mr. Johnson limits his practice to criminal trials and appeals and practices throughout the South Eastern United States.
Areas of Practice
- 95% Criminal Law – Federal White Collar Crime
- Criminal Defense
- Criminal Law
- 95% of Practice Devoted to Litigation
Certified Legal Specialties
- Criminal Trial Lawyer, Florida Bar Association, 1988
- Criminal Trial Advocacy, National Institute of Trial Advocacy, 1992
- Florida, 1973
- U.S. District Court Northern District of Florida, 1979
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Florida, 2003
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 1981
- U.S. Court of Appeals 11th Circuit, 1981
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2000
- University of Florida College of Law, Gainesville, Florida
J.D. – 1973
- Harvard Law School, Cambridge, Massachusetts
Trial Advocacy Skills – Teacher Training Trial Advocacy Workshop – 1987
- Auburn University, Auburn, Alabama
B.S. – 1969, Major: Economics
- Individuals and Business Entities
Trial Lawyer Instructor
- Public Defender/ Prosecutor Training Program, University of Florida College of Law and Stetson University College of Law, 1984 – Present
Honors and Awards
- Martindale-Hubbell AV Rating, 1984 – Present
- Super Lawyer, 2006 – 2012
- Counselor, Pensacola Chapter American Inns of Court, 2006 – Present
Professional Associations and Memberships
- NACDL, 1984 – Present
- Pensacola Chapter American Inns of Court, Counsellor, 1996 – Present
- Florida Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers, Member, 1984 – Present
Past Employment Positions
- Office of the Public Defender-1st Judicial Court, Assistant Public Defender, 1973 – 1974
- Office of the State Attorney-1st Judicial Court, Assistant State Attorney, 1974 – 1977
- Office of the State Attorney-1st Judicial Court, Chief Assistant State Attorney, 1977 – 1984
- Kinsey, Troxel, Johnson, Walborsky & Bradley, Partner, 1984 – 2011